Nietzsche book available soon

It has been a learning semester. First, there was that whole thing about awards (embarrassing). Then there was also being promoted to full professor (liberating, in a way; no further promotions to seek). And each of the two classes I taught were disasters — nothing likely to land me in jail, but enough to throw me into mid-level contemplation over exactly what I’d like to achieve in a class, and how best to engage students so that they encounter the excitement and challenge in great ideas. And finally, a series of disappointments with publishers.

I have been peddling an odd book. It features a pseudonymous preface, a one-act play, no scholarly footnotes, and a balanced weave of biography, philosophy, and my own reflections. I easily understand why two publishers said “no.” I am less ready to understand why two more elected to give me the silent treatment, after expressing initial interest. Maybe I weirded them out? But why not say so? Or have I become a tiresome crank, best ignored? So soon? I was hoping to reach 50 before donning that mantle.

Anyway, looks like I will be self-publishing the Nz book through createspace.com, which sells through Amazon. I must admit that it has been exhilarating to go through the steps of self-publishing. I set the format, design the cover, set the price, write the stuff on the back cover, etc. A proof is on its way to me, and I imagine the book will be available by mid-May. (Also a thrill of immediacy.) I kind of like the idea of doing my own thing, for an audience of friends, though I’d like to also keep a hand in the more scholarly circles too. I wonder if it’s possible to do both. We shall see.

I’ll announce the book’s availability with great cranky enthusiasm.

About Huenemann

Curious about the ways humans use their minds and hearts to distract themselves from the meaninglessness of life.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Nietzsche book available soon

1. Mike says:

Congrats on the promotion to full prof. Let me know how the publishing process goes. Apparently I’m in charge of the publishing part of this company now though we primarily focus on web based deliverables. The company has a close relationship with a printer in SLC, and I have a close relationship with a world class print designer.

I’m looking forward to the book.

2. Nancy says:

tiresome old crank are not the words i would use to describe you. on the other hand, considering my circle of friends, perhaps i am not the best judge. 🙂
    i’d love to read your new book, and to see what you think of the self-publishing process. it’s often rather dismissed, but i’ve been hearing recently that these new self-publishing sites are beginning to revolutionize it.
    do you follow wil wheaton at all? he has a blog in which he talks a lot about adventures in publishing as an author with a small following but little mainstream popularity. it’s interesting. 🙂

3. Rob says:

World gone wrong. I would have thought that if your linguistic élan was not sufficient to secure a publisher, your unconventionally resourceful way of engaging Nietzsche’s ideas would easily have done so. In any event, looking forward to news of its availability.

4. Rob says:

Lighthearted Philosophers Society
    3rd Annual Conference

Call For Papers

Date: October 16 – 17, 2009 (Fri & Sat)
    Location: St. Petersburg, Florida (That’s right, a
    beach-adjacent conference in October!)
    Submission Deadline: August 16th, 2009

The Lighthearted Philosophers Society (LPS) is an organization for
    philosophers who approach their work with a sense of humor. We strive
    to create a venue for professional philosophy that is welcoming,
    enjoyable, and engaging. Please join us in our merry ruminations!

We are interested in both the philosophy of humor and humorous
    philosophy from any field. We welcome witty papers from any area of
    philosophy, and we’d especially enjoy papers on philosophical
    questions about humor.

Submission Requirements:

Prepare submissions for blind review (separate cover sheet w/ contact
    info, affiliation, etc.) and include an abstract of less than 350
    words (yes, we will be hand-counting them to the exact word). Be
    prepared to limit your time on stage (3,000 words is best), as longer
    papers risk getting the hook or some thrown tomatoes, depending on
    whichever is handier at the time. We will have commentators, so
    please also indicate if you would be interested in heckling someone
    else on the program.

Those selected will be notified by Sept. 5th.

Please submit your papers electronically to the following email
    address:
    lighthearted.philosop…@gmail.com

5. Huenemann says:

Who could resist submitting to this?!

6. Rob says:

I think you’d make an outstanding keynote speaker.

7. Rob says:

And here’s one for Kleiner, featuring your graduate mentor: